It was a good idea. What could possibly go wrong?

Two shades of chroma fingering and a simple chevron pattern. What could go wrong?

Quite a bit, actually. The way the colors blended together way too well, even though I was using two different colorways of KnitPicks Chroma Fingering (Mix Tape and Roller Skate, both sadly discontinued). They had some colors in common and some different colors to change it up. Mix Tape has grey and bright green as well as purple and red purple. Roller skate has purple and pink with a bright blue and a true green. The colors looked coordinating, but not matchy-matchy in the skein. When I started knitting, though, they were lining up was making it look less like the Missoni scarf I was hoping to emulate and more like just a blue, purple, and green striped scarf.

It was an idea that looked good on the surface. When it came to the actual implementation, it failed. It wasn’t a stunning failure. I could have kept going with it. Nothing was actually wrong with the scarf, perse. It just wasn’t what I was shooting for.

For a while I keep knitting, hoping it would get better. Eventually, though, I had to admit it just wasn’t working. There was no sense in knitting any farther when I wasn’t going to like the project. 

If I really believe Maxim 70 (and the Japanese Proverb that says Fall down 7 times, stand up 8) then there’s nothing wrong with admitting failure. It’s what you do after you fail that counts.

In this case, I ended up ripping it out and adding the two colors to my Color Therapy Bruinen, instead.

My lesson was “no really, swatch.” (the start of a scarf counts as a swatch in this case. Just saying.) Also, I normally trust self striping and color change yarns to do the work for me. In this case, it’s a case of “trust, but verify.” 

I’m doing much more planning and manipulating the colors. The pattern has a 7 row repeat. I had originally thought I’d just swap colorways at the end of a pattern repeat. That’s not always the most pleasing place to switch. Instead, I am switching between my different colorways at color coordinating spots instead of waiting until the end of a pattern repeat. That’s improving the harmony between the colorways.

Bruinen is a top down shawl, so my rows are getting longer as I go. I kind of just let things happen in the shorter rows toward the beginning. I’m being much more mindful of what colors are appearing across a row as my rows are getting longer. I had one and half skeins of (also discontinued) Prism and have started doubling the length of some of the color runs by splicing in an additional length of the color from the other skein.I may do something similar with the remaining Mix Tape and Roller Skate. 

Since each skein has several repeats of the full color run, I should be able to wind off some of the yarn to make longer runs of the colors for the remaining bits of the shawl. We’ll see how this works out.

Digiprove sealCopyright secured by Digiprove © 2016

Comments go here